Skip to main content

Decision to transplant

Greetings,

My decision to proceed with a bone marrow transplant (also referred to as a BMT, a stem cell transplant or SCT) has been a multi-year process. And very difficult since it is such a high risk, high reward decision.  It is a potential cure, but is a long and difficult process with potentially serious complications.

Bone Marrow Transplant was the original term for the procedure where the donor stem cells were harvested from the donor's bone marrow which is a long and painful process.  The more common approach today is to harvest the stem cells from the donor's peripheral blood.

I’ve been extremely fortunate in many ways - having an amazing team of doctors, very effective treatments for over a decade, and an incredibly strong support system.  I’ve entrusted my medical advice to the MD Anderson cancer center team in Houston working hand in hand with an expert team at University of Colorado Health in Denver. Based upon very sophisticated genetic testing and monitoring the disease progression over the years, their consensus opinion is that the BMT is my best chance for a long life.

My brother Dan gave me sound advice that “if you had a better option, you would take it”.   I found real comfort in that advice, especially since I had done so much research, received so many expert opinions, worked hard to maintain my overall health, and collaborated with family and friends.  I knew this was the right decision for me.

So, in February 2020 I made the final decision to proceed and chose MD Anderson for the procedure as they have the most experience, I liked their process and doctors, and simply put they earned my confidence.  Very importantly, they were able to quickly find 14 perfect match donor candidates for me so the doctor had her pick of the best.

Connie and I began the preparation for our temporary move to Houston. The specific date was planned for May 11, 2020 which was quickly disrupted by the pandemic.  There was just too much risk and uncertainty with catching COVID-19 during the process to proceed.  So, we went into hibernation for the spring and summer.  In so many ways this has been a blessing as we bonded back as a family in our own personal quarantine group at our home in Littleton, CO.  Quarantining with Connie, Tara, Eric and Tara’s boyfriend Max made for so many fun times, laughs, bike rides, walks, dinners, happy hours, bonfires, and great conversations!  I call this the silver lining from the pandemic, something we would never have had the chance to experience with our adult children during our normal busy lives.  

But, the cancer didn’t go away with this personal hiatus and we are now in the final preparation to move to Houston the weekend of October 4th to begin the 3+ month process.

Cheers to all of you for your support over the years,

Gary

 MD Anderson was ranked #1 in the US for Cancer Care

 

Comments

  1. Gary, Our thoughts and prayers are with you. I know we haven't spoken in quite some time, but I have always respected you and thought very highly of you. I know you are strong both personally and in faith. Stay Strong and I know you will endure! Love, your cousin Mike!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're on my mind Daily Gary. I know you are strong, and much brighter days are ahead.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My Story

 Hello Family and Friends, Thank you for following my blog and your love and support over the years and especially now during my Journey to a Cure.  I thought I would start this BLOG by telling my story and how I got to the point where a bone marrow transplant is the next best step in my cancer battle.  And hopefully a long term, durable cure. In September 2008, during a routine physical exam, my white blood cell count came back unusually high. The next month was busy with many doctor appointments, tests, learning, and ultimately a diagnosis - at the age of 44 I had cancer and specifically CLL or Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia.   CLL is usually an older patient disease, a slowly progressing disease, and at the time already had some good treatment options.  Many CLL patients never need treatment and I had the “good marker”, 13q deletion to be technical. CLL is not hereditary (although my Uncle Marc did have CLL later in his life) and like many cancers the exact cau...

Day +18: Engraftment!

The MD Anderson blood testing process is a factory.  When you go in for a blood draw, there is a bank of over 50 stations ready to draw your blood.  Combined with all the test requests from the hospital rooms like mine, from the buildings full of clinics, blood donations,... it’s amazing they can turn around results within an hour.    Yesterday (Day +17), they had a technical issue that backed up this process and had to redraw my blood late in the afternoon.   This turned out to be a godsend as the result was a White Blood Cell (WBC) count of 0.1.  This result, repeated and confirmed this morning, means I currently have 100 WBCs per liter of blood.  The average person walks around with 5 liters of blood and within the normal range of 5-10 thousand WBCs per liter.  So, I have around 500 white blood cells on the way to a normal level of over 25,000. It’s not much, but something to build upon.  And most importantly, it means the engraftment proc...

The End of the Journey

I've been reluctant to post this final entry in my Journey to a Cure blog.   My journey began in October 2008 when I was diagnosed with chronic lymphocytic leukemia (CLL) during a routine physical.  Over the ensuing 14 year period, I've gone through 4 different treatment protocols and a stem cell transplant.  While I never let cancer define me, it consumed a lot of my time and energy over these 14 years.  To be honest, I rarely thought about life after cancer as it just didn't seem achievable.  Therein lies my reluctance, but I'm going to say it out loud for the first time - I'M CURED OF CANCER! Somebody pinch me, I must be dreaming. After my hospital stay for pneumonia in March 2022 and a case of the flu in May 2022, my health surprisingly took a positive turn in July of 2022.  During what had become a routine check up, my blood test results showed that I was starting to create my own white blood cells.  My immune system was finally coming back ...